dinsdag 26 juli 2016

Stefano IZ1OQU makes SSB QSO's with 5 mW

Stefano IZ1OQU 5 mW SSB
with light weight VHFantenne
Hi Bert,
One year passed since our last email and now I write to tell you some recent news about my experiences with power attenuators in QRPp.
Last Sunday, during the Italian Apulia Contest VHF on 2 meters, I made 19 QSO's.
11 QSO's were completed with 5 mW, 4 with 50 mW and 4 with 500 mW. 
I never needed to repeat my callsign. No propagation, no e-sporadic: just directs. 
The best QSO was with a French station over 312 km, good for 62.400 kms per watt
My operating location was 500 m asl, with good opening to the sea and the French coast. I'm forgetting to say... That it was SSB!

The antenna is a personal design, low weight very easy to use on portable: two rectangles vertically linked to each other, with nice gain and good front/side. You can see it on my qrz.com. But I attach a photo for your comfort.

What an unbelievable experience! The first time with 5 mW drove me crazy. Surely VHF offers big chances to play with micro-powers, thank to big-gain antennas both on tx and rx sides, and global low power absorption. It is a test that I want to repeat as soon as possible, looking for DX.

Every time I think back to the day that I found your website: my life changed and my passion for QRPp now flies on golden wings. Thank you again, my friend.

Best regards
'73 de IZ1OQU Stefano

3 opmerkingen:

  1. Hallo Bert, dit zijn die mooie verhalen met QRPp en zeker op VHF. 73 Paul PC4T

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Hallo Paul, het is echt fantastisch. Een contest biedt altijd een fraaie mogelijkheid, om te werken met zeer laag vermogen. Het is leuk om dit te mogen publiceren. 73, Bert

      Verwijderen
  2. Good afternoon Bert, that's great news from Stefano and it's so true how peanut power can get.
    73, Mike

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen